Wednesday, 27 July 2016

Afghanistan suspends bidding on magnetite and marble stone mines in Kandahar due to deteriorating security situation

Kandahar Governor Dr. Humayun Azizi announced on Tuesday that the bidding process and contract signing for two precious stone mines have been suspended due to insecurity in the area. Addressing a weekly meeting with the government officials and Provincial Council members, Dr. Azizi said the contract and bidding process for magnetite stone mine in Khakrez district and marble stone mine in the Shah Walikot district were suspended due to deteriorating security situation. He assured that work on the projects would resume as soon as law and order was restored. Meanwhile, Mine and Petroleum Director Eng. Khan Aqa said a ten-year contract of fluorite mine, situated in Nesh district of southern Kandahar, had been signed. According to sources, Kandahar is home for 30 deposits of different natural resources such as fluorite, chromites, gold, marble, iron, magnetite, zing, coal and highly precious and semi-precious stones.
>>> READ ORIGINAL ARTICLE